Questions to Badlands Rifleman

Badlands Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: Questions to Badlands Rifleman

Post by Badlands Rifleman »

I’ve read that it’s supposed to be better, but in reality I was still getting about 7 degrees of shift depending on the amount of elevation change. Attaching a level is also useful for ensuring you are consistent even when you’re not on a slope. The difference between actual level and what people think is level can be significant.
Owner of Badlands Fieldcraft LLC, instructor of the Fieldcraft Course, and writer of the Badlands Fieldcraft blog.
Hilltop Fox
Recruit

Post by Hilltop Fox »

Like reading your articles and would love to come out west for one (or more) of your courses. Unfortunately, my eastern position may hamper that happening. Read your most resent article on your PVS-14 choice and was moved enough to also get off the spot and move ahead with something that I should have done years ago. Now just waiting for mine to arrive and hopefully you are still very pleased with your purchase?
Thanks again for your insight and inspiration.

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2021/0 ... ho-pvs-14/
Badlands Rifleman
Rifleman

Thanks, I’m glad you enjoy them. It’s a bit of a drive out here for sure, but the training is worth the drive I’ve been told by guys who drove 20 hours one way. I’m very happy with my Photonis PVS-14, I think they are an excellent value, delivering common man quality that gets the job done, I don’t regret my decision one bit. Considering I’m fully set up for around $3800 total including a laser I can’t really recommend anything else to the average guy. I recently was out until midnight engaging a 10” plate at 100 yards quite easily with just my laser. While I’m sure there are technical differences that some will be able to point out between the Photonis Echo and a unit costing 50% more, I don’t think there’s enough differences to justify the 50% higher price tag when approaching it from the perspective of someone on a budget needing to observe, maneuver and provide security at night. While some may need the best of the best I just look to get the job done, save money where I can, and spend the savings on more training.
Owner of Badlands Fieldcraft LLC, instructor of the Fieldcraft Course, and writer of the Badlands Fieldcraft blog.
DeserveNeither
Recruit

Post by DeserveNeither »

I am very interested in taking your course, however I have reservations if I can physically keep up. Not overweight and can put in a good day's work, but not in tip top shape and reluctantly reaching middle age.

Is there a good minimum physical test I can make sure I can do before going to your class?
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
Benjamin Franklin
Badlands Rifleman
Rifleman

Hmm, I would say if you can hike 3-4 miles a day with 30-50 pounds of stuff on your back you should be good. There’s no extra PT or anything like that. It’s all hiking up hill and down hill carrying a 30-50 pound load for most of the day. I say 30-50 because some training is just done with your fighting load and some is done with all your stuff. Can you walk up 5 flights of stairs without stopping to catch your breath?
DeserveNeither
Recruit

Post by DeserveNeither »

That sounds much more reasonable than I was dreading.

I'll keep working on the equipment list you posted, thanks so much for putting that up.

When will you be posting the 2022 class schedule?
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
Benjamin Franklin
Badlands Rifleman
Rifleman

I try to shoot for a happy medium between challenging and enjoyable. I’ve had a man in his 60’s, a guy that’s overweight but putting in the effort, and a 12 year old boy all go through the course. None were the fastest but they all did the best they could, so I’m sure you’ll be good to go. Get out and hike 2-3 miles with a 20-30 pound load 1-2 times a week and it will do wonders for you. Doing go heavier or farther than that, just a good maintenance routine. If you’re interested in further training check out the StrongLifts 5x5 program, it’s a simple strength training program that’s been around since the 50’s. Simple compound movements to build good working strength.

I’m glad the equipment list is helpful. I know it’s in depth, but it’s designed to get you set up logistically so you can come to class and learn to use that equipment efficiently. I’m working on the POI for the next class, which focuses a lot more on the tactical side. The gear list is exactly the same for that, so if I can get people through the first class they are already set up for the second one. We just keep on rolling building on everything we’ve already learned.
Badlands Rifleman
Rifleman

I forgot to answer your question about next years schedule. At this point it’s going to be the same as this years, and I’d like to add in 2 of my next level classes as well.
Panama
Rifleman

Post by Panama »

Badlands, could you please cover your set up for the(tr) uSDX. I heard you talking about it on the Every day Citizen's Tactical podcast. Sounded good and I ordered one. Just want to make sure I get the other items you mentioned. I'm going to listen to the podcast again and watch some vids on utube, see what I can learn. But it sounded like the perfect or good enough solution for alot. Thank you sir.
Just a dude, here to learn and add if I can, very honored to be in the presence of all of you.