New member checking in from California

Introduce yourself. ALL NEW MEMBERS WILL REPORT IN.
Samuel
Recruit

New member checking in from California

Post by Samuel »

Hey all, new member here. Unfortunately for me I live in the greater Los Angeles area, so it can get a little discouraging out here. Glad I found you guys, need some like minded people in my life.
alphabravo36
Rifleman

Re: New member checking in from California

Post by alphabravo36 »

Welcome from Northern CA. I am about 90 miles North of Sacramento. Are you HF capable?
AlphaBravo36
Samuel
Recruit

Post by Samuel »

alphabravo36 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:07 pm Welcome from Northern CA. I am about 90 miles North of Sacramento. Are you HF capable?
No sir, only VHF/UHF capable at the time. I’m interested in HF radio options though. What do you recommend for someone in an apartment?
alphabravo36
Rifleman

Post by alphabravo36 »

This is the antenna I use for portable long distance (DX) operations, it won't work for NVIS. It is a low power antenna, 25 watts max, so it matches a barefoot G90 which is the radio I have. The G90 is not a plug and play radio, it requires some tinkering with ferrites to tame stray RF and some online research to get a good description of menus. The manual provided is not to helpful.
Others can advise you on other brands of radios with more power or less stray RF issues. For my base station I use an End Fed Half Wave (EFHW) multi band antenna, but it requires 130 feet plus of wire and some way to elevate the ends. Lots of help available on this forum, check older posts in radio stuff and browse through posts by Historian before you buy anything. Enjoy the journey!
AlphaBravo36
alphabravo36
Rifleman

Post by alphabravo36 »

Forgot to post the link in last post. https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj ... escription
AlphaBravo36
codename-alfred
Rifleman

Post by codename-alfred »

Welcome from east central GA!
-- "In God we trust, All others we monitor."
Signals Intelligence means reading another person's mail without them knowing.
BelieverPatriot
Rifleman

Post by BelieverPatriot »

Welcome from NW Louisiana!
"Fast is fine but accuracy is final. You must learn how to be slow in a hurry" --Wyatt Earp