New member from NC

Introduce yourself. ALL NEW MEMBERS WILL REPORT IN.
culper
Recruit

New member from NC

Post by culper »

Hello all,

My name is Culper. I live in NC. I'm glad to find some other like minded people here.

I have been listing to Radio Contra for the past few months and I have learned a lot. I graduated last December with a degree in IT. I have been studying to get my tech HAM license. Hopefully I will test for that soon.

I am a prepper, gun guy, and computer geek.

Anything you want to know just ask. I look forward to being a member here
SharpsShtr
Professionally Instructed Gunman

Re: New member from NC

Post by SharpsShtr »

Glad to have you here. We have lots of N.C. folks on the forum.

Matt
Mission, Men, Self.
Atlas Shrug

Post by Atlas Shrug »

Howdy from central NC.

Study just a little bit extra and then when you test for and pass your Technician License, immediately test for the General License. You can almost always do so for no extra cost, and often pass it. The General is a very useful upgrade.
Keep Your Powder Dry,
Atlas Shrug
culper
Recruit

Post by culper »

Atlas Shrug wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:05 am Howdy from central NC.

Study just a little bit extra and then when you test for and pass your Technician License, immediately test for the General License. You can almost always do so for no extra cost, and often pass it. The General is a very useful upgrade.
Thanks I hope too. Saving up for a radio now. Radio setups are not cheap
Atlas Shrug

Post by Atlas Shrug »

culper wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:37 am

Quite true. Peruse the threads on here and you’ll find some good advice on radios in general, and your first HF rig specifically. As you learn about radios, also research the area clubs and hamfests near you. They can often be good sources of used gear. Raleigh just had their RARS Fest a couple of weeks ago, but there are others.

Also, if you have not purchased your VHF/UHF unit(s) yet, consider something like this:

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/btwr-es ... m-adv.html

I bought a similar package from them a year or so back, and the radios are a good step up from the ubiquitous UV-5R class of handhelds. Those Wouxons are fairly robust and the kit linked has several good upgrades - antennas, batteries, programming cable, etc.

I think they may have similar single radio setups, but personally I advise having more than one radio for your entry level HT. The “Two is One, One is None” and “A Pair and A Spare” are good mottos to live by, IMHO.
Keep Your Powder Dry,
Atlas Shrug
NC SCOUT
Site Admin

Post by NC SCOUT »

culper wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:11 am Hello all,

My name is Culper. I live in NC. I'm glad to find some other like minded people here.

I have been listing to Radio Contra for the past few months and I have learned a lot. I graduated last December with a degree in IT. I have been studying to get my tech HAM license. Hopefully I will test for that soon.

Hey brother!!!
Appalachistani Warlord

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Brushbeater Training Calendar

culper
Recruit

Post by culper »

Atlas Shrug wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:21 pm
culper wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:37 am

Quite true. Peruse the threads on here and you’ll find some good advice on radios in general, and your first HF rig specifically. As you learn about radios, also research the area clubs and hamfests near you. They can often be good sources of used gear. Raleigh just had their RARS Fest a couple of weeks ago, but there are others.

Also, if you have not purchased your VHF/UHF unit(s) yet, consider something like this:

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/btwr-es ... m-adv.html

I bought a similar package from them a year or so back, and the radios are a good step up from the ubiquitous UV-5R class of handhelds. Those Wouxons are fairly robust and the kit linked has several good upgrades - antennas, batteries, programming cable, etc.

I think they may have similar single radio setups, but personally I advise having more than one radio for your entry level HT. The “Two is One, One is None” and “A Pair and A Spare” are good mottos to live by, IMHO.
Thanks for the link and info.

I've been told to at least try for the General as well. It doesn't make any sense not to. There are a few HAM groups in my AO. I am in a group with some HAMs.
Yes, I am one of those people with a couple of BAOFENG radios. They are good to learn on IMO. For me spending 30.00 is easier then spending 200.00 on something that you don't know much about. I do see the need on getting a couple of higher quality radios. I am looking at an HF setup now and saving for it. I'm looking forward to the next HAMFEST. Sounds like a gun show but for geeks. With anything electronic nothing is more true than " 1 is none, 2 is one, etc"
culper
Recruit

Post by culper »

NC SCOUT wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:58 pm
culper wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:11 am Hello all,

Hey brother!!!
Hey man
plankmember
Hunter of Gunmen

Post by plankmember »

Greetings brother !. North Carolina must have the highest density of people here....an enjoyable jealousy !
  • "You cannot subsidize irresponsibility and expect people to become more responsible" Dr. Thomas Sowell
  • " WHAT WE DO NOW ECHOES IN ETERNITY " - Maximus Decimus Meridius
      culper
      Recruit

Post by culper »

plankmember wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:09 pm Greetings brother !. North Carolina must have the highest density of people here....an enjoyable jealousy !
      North Carolina is the best Carolina....I kid

There does seem to be a lot of members here that from NC. I think that is very cool.

I am glad to have found this site and the knowledge base it has. I'm greatful