Greetings my Brothers from western CO

Introduce yourself. ALL NEW MEMBERS WILL REPORT IN.
Jonas Clark
Rifleman

Greetings my Brothers from western CO

Post by Jonas Clark »

Sooo glad to see the forum back! Thank you Scout and others that put this together....again!

Love to grow food in my backyard, added chickens this year too. Love freedom, truth and justice. Have a technician license but need practice...

I firmly believe the pulpit needs to thunder forth on the issues of our day and politicians should meet once every other year to stop adding new laws/restrictions. Would love to connect with my neighbors...please drop me a line.

Looking forward to learning here!

God Bless,
Jonas Clark
"After 2020, how long do you have to look behind the curtain before you believe what you see..."
Jonas Clark
Rifleman

Re: Greetings my Brothers from western CO

Post by Jonas Clark »

Also, love the lock and load attitude on the podcast...I learn a lot there. I have made changes to my internet habits and view cell phones differently after several of the episodes.

Jonas
"After 2020, how long do you have to look behind the curtain before you believe what you see..."
plankmember
Hunter of Gunmen

Post by plankmember »

western Colorado highcountry checking in Keep in touch We are Legion Welcome bro Comms studies and garden expansion keeping me more than busy ! Whewwww
  • "You cannot subsidize irresponsibility and expect people to become more responsible" Dr. Thomas Sowell
  • " WHAT WE DO NOW ECHOES IN ETERNITY " - Maximus Decimus Meridius
      Frost
      Rifleman

Post by Frost »

Welcome!

If you've got an HF rig, you'll have to check in to the net!
      Sorry, I'm Canadian!
      Saber 7
      Rifleman

Post by Saber 7 »

Jonas, welcome to the frey!

When you get your general ticket and can work the HF bands there is a whole new realm to radio. Here’s a for instance, CO is in the ARRL 12th region. There is a daily traffic net that meets at 0700 each and every day on 3.923.50. The 12th region is comprised of AZ, CO, NM, UT, WY. Others like myself check in from states outside this delineated region, I’m in Idaho. If there is no written traffic to be passed the net is normally completed by 0704 or 0706. So its check ins the done. After the net, a handful of us hang out and rag chew till 0800 or even 0900. Lots of talk about QRP, antennas, radios, digital, there is a wealth of knowledge freely conveyed. My point is I us this net a a routine location for members on this here forum to link up, then we either stay and join the conversation or we move up or down to a frequency and talk forum business. This is until we can get the RRG manned by dedicated RRG stations.

If you have questions just reach out.

Again welcome to the group.
      Saber 7
      KC3GOP

“Your fears are not my chains”
      Jonas Clark
      Rifleman

Post by Jonas Clark »

Frost wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:18 pm Welcome!

If you've got an HF rig, you'll have to check in to the net!
      Thanks for the welcome Frost! I hope to get my HF radio set up in the near future and look forward to connecting with you all.

Jonas
      KE0PGE
      Jonas Clark
      Rifleman

Post by Jonas Clark »

Saber 7 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:22 pm Jonas, welcome to the frey!

When you get your general ticket and can work the HF bands there is a whole new realm to radio. Here’s a for instance, CO is in the ARRL 12th region. There is a daily traffic net that meets at 0700 each and every day on 3.923.50. The 12th region is comprised of AZ, CO, NM, UT, WY. Others like myself check in from states outside this delineated region, I’m in Idaho. If there is no written traffic to be passed the net is normally completed by 0704 or 0706. So its check ins the done. After the net, a handful of us hang out and rag chew till 0800 or even 0900. Lots of talk about QRP, antennas, radios, digital, there is a wealth of knowledge freely conveyed. My point is I us this net a a routine location for members on this here forum to link up, then we either stay and join the conversation or we move up or down to a frequency and talk forum business. This is until we can get the RRG manned by dedicated RRG stations.

If you have questions just reach out.

Again welcome to the group.
      Saber 7,
      This is my 3rd attempt to make this post. Each time I hit the submit button it goes to the login page....regardless, I'm glad we're here and that there are no community guidelines to break like last time (previous forum)...

Thank you for the welcome and all the net info! I actually have an old Kenwood TS-120S that I need to set up. I have a dipole, I believe I have read that those are the simplest antennas to start with?? Any suggestions on antenna types?

Does it matter which direction a dipole is oriented? For example, if I want to talk to someone to the north of me should the dipole be running north-south? East-west?

Jonas
      KE0PGE
      Saber 7
      Rifleman

Post by Saber 7 »

The signal comes out of the wire like rings. So not much comes off the the ends. If you want to send to the north then your wire would run east west. Or you can set it up like an L or a V. Look do you know why its called FM? Because its F-in magic!!!! Then there is your “take off angle”. Think of it like this, you take a tennis ball, you toss it straight down, it bounces straight up right? And then it comes straight down, that is how NVIS works, (50 to 600 miles). You then side arm toss the same ball and the bounce is now shallow and very long. That signal will now skip like a flash rock on the water very very far. Here’s how you toss your signal, if you want it to bounce up, the antenna is low to the ground, if you want it to bounce long the antenna is high in the air. Thats the fun part of antennas, plus the soil, the moisture, time of day, band conditions to name only a few. AND your antenna is the critical part of your entire set up, and the most fun to experiment with.

Yes a dipole is a easy way to start. NC just did posted on AP a write up on inverted V configuration. Go take a look. When I am doing Summits on the air, (SOTA) i use a end fed wire and set it up as a inverted L. So i get a mix of directional and Omni pattern, well thats the idea anyway.

Get that 1205 set up and listen in to the 12th region net at 0700.
      Saber 7
      KC3GOP

“Your fears are not my chains”