Greetings. I am Looking for a good State or Area to Move to.

Introduce yourself. ALL NEW MEMBERS WILL REPORT IN.
vyt1az
Professionally Instructed Gunman

Re: Greetings. I am Looking for a good State or Area to Move to.

Post by vyt1az »

tarmac82 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:45 pm
ColdSteel1983 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:43 pm Regarding your post…

Part 1 is fine. Makes sense.

Part 2 is OK, a little unusual at least for this crowd.

Part 3 raises the eyebrows. I had exactly the same thought as HW.

You want to learn, fine. You want to meet some folks and possibly strike up some relationships OK. Jumping right to “where are the compounds and groups” is over the top and off putting if not flat out alarming.

Just my POV. Things take time. Vetting, trust and confidence take time and interaction.

Regards,

Jeff B.
Okay, well, I don't know what you think I'm asking for, but what I want to find is people growing their own food, and awake and aware of the political BS that rolling over the the country. To me, a compound is group of homes protected a little or a lot with geography or fences or whatever. As far as I know that's not illegal. Do you assume I'm asking for a militia group that ready to storm the capitol or something? Since I'm the new guy, maybe I'm just an idiot, and you guys are all paramilitary and that was a stupid question. But I mean, to me, canning a years worth of food, raising chickens, having some group cohesion isn't radical or illegal. I'm in an apartment now and I don't even know one person in the building.
I wouldn't take it personally. People here all critique posts.

I'm guessing you either don't have close family ties, or maybe they're all in "blue" centers?

I'd start with whichever community you will have the most cultural ties to.

If it's not family/friends, it likely needs to be a faith community, particularly those that have actually proven they're willing to sacrifice their life or conveniences for their faith.

If that doesn't work, it might be people who are so devoted to a lifestyle that they've also given up luxuries and taken sacrifices. I generally don't bother with people solely on the basis of being into preparedness as it doesn't inherently build trust IMO, but if that's all you've got, it couldn't hurt.

Next I'd narrow things down by region. Remote isn't always best as NC Scout alluded to.

I personally prefer the south east because there are mountains, coasts, a long growing season with plenty of agriculture, plenty of manufacturing, and quick access to major ports and shipping lanes.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi
Badlands Rifleman
Rifleman

Post by Badlands Rifleman »

I must have misunderstood you, I thought you were wanting to move closer to the bad areas. Idaho is an interesting place for sure, between the Mormons and everyone else who moves there to get away from the rest of the country.
Owner of Badlands Fieldcraft LLC, instructor of the Fieldcraft Course, and writer of the Badlands Fieldcraft blog.
BePrepared

Post by BePrepared »

tarmac82 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:45 pm Since I'm the new guy, maybe I'm just an idiot, and you guys are all paramilitary and that was a stupid question. But I mean, to me, canning a years worth of food, raising chickens, having some group cohesion isn't radical or illegal. I'm in an apartment now and I don't even know one person in the building.
Not true... I'm a vet but I was never in the combat arms, you could say I killed people... by proxy. Around here my neighbors and I swap garden veggies if I have more of a thing and they have more of another. I'm currently canning pickles, tomatos and beans as fast as I can get the jars out of the canner.

It's not a bad thing you are asking for, I get it, it's just the way you asked it was rather odd to some. Don't sweat it.

As mentioned, The South is a pretty decent place. Having been in The Republik of Kalifornia for a time... I wouldn't be caught dead there.
When they are preparing for war, those who rule by force speak most copiously about peace until they have completed the mobilization process.
tarmac82
Recruit

Post by tarmac82 »

BePrepared wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:38 pm
tarmac82 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:45 pm Since I'm the new guy, maybe I'm just an idiot, and you guys are all paramilitary and that was a stupid question. But I mean, to me, canning a years worth of food, raising chickens, having some group cohesion isn't radical or illegal. I'm in an apartment now and I don't even know one person in the building.
I'm currently canning pickles, tomatos and beans as fast as I can get the jars out of the canner.

It's not a bad thing you are asking for, I get it, it's just the way you asked it was rather odd to some. Don't sweat it.

As mentioned, The South is a pretty decent place. Having been in The Republik of Kalifornia for a time... I wouldn't be caught dead there.

Thanks.

Yeah, I was in Kommiefornia for almost a year. Beautiful place with a horrible government.
plankmember
Hunter of Gunmen

Post by plankmember »

tarmac82 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:51 pm
NC SCOUT wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:48 pm
tarmac82 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:37 pm One of the better ones with the Heritage Life Skills fest over in Cullowhee just south of Asheville, and we've got Prepper Camp coming up in September as well.
Hey, NC Scout, thank you. That's the kind of thing I was looking for. I'll search for those.
ID , WY , MT, And my current favorite western colorado... 100-200 miles from metro areas.....Red state, this would be the year to Relocate !!!!!! best wishes
  • "You cannot subsidize irresponsibility and expect people to become more responsible" Dr. Thomas Sowell
  • " WHAT WE DO NOW ECHOES IN ETERNITY " - Maximus Decimus Meridius
      Snake

Post by Snake »

Check out Pastor Joe Fox, he has a huge lot of YouTube vids on the subject, he promotes this. He has been encouraging people to move out to homesteads for years. That would be a good place to start researching the subject. As far as groups and people, depends on where you want to go and what you do for work. Expect a transition to be a lot of work, and to be accepted by a community you have to be involved in it, and bring something to the table. Like joining a church, Vol FD, etc. Depending on where you locate this can be easy or difficult-Some communities are clannish, and it takes 3-4 generations before you are not an outsider. I know a few church pastors who have moved into the area- they are very involved in the community and they fit in. No matter what you do community is important, and it takes a lot of effort to get accepted-but it is worth the effort. NCS’s references to some prepper meetups etc would be a good start, people travel from all over the country to attend those, a place to meet people and network. Just avoid sketchy people and illegal things- people that do stupid things win stupid prizes.
      tarmac82
      Recruit

Post by tarmac82 »

Snake wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:46 am Check out Pastor Joe Fox, he has a huge lot of YouTube vids on the subject, he promotes this. He has been encouraging people to move out to homesteads for years. That would be a good place to start researching the subject. As far as groups and people, depends on where you want to go and what you do for work. Expect a transition to be a lot of work, and to be accepted by a community you have to be involved in it, and bring something to the table. Like joining a church, Vol FD, etc. Depending on where you locate this can be easy or difficult-Some communities are clannish, and it takes 3-4 generations before you are not an outsider. I know a few church pastors who have moved into the area- they are very involved in the community and they fit in. No matter what you do community is important, and it takes a lot of effort to get accepted-but it is worth the effort. NCS’s references to some prepper meetups etc would be a good start, people travel from all over the country to attend those, a place to meet people and network. Just avoid sketchy people and illegal things- people that do stupid things win stupid prizes.
      Pastor Joe Fox sounds like a great lead. Thank you.

About the community thing, I get it, everyone is sizing everyone up, that makes a lot of sense, too.

My skill is mechanical engineering, designing things, understanding the physics behind what's going on, I can fix stuff.

I'm glad you would say that about avoiding sketchy/illegal people. That's how I am and would love to find an upstanding community with zero tolerance for that stuff.

Vol Fd sounds like a great idea. I never thought of that.
      ColdSteel1983

Post by ColdSteel1983 »

Sorry for coming across harshly. I was attempting to point out how folks could look at your post as a bit questionable.

There’s lots of trolls here, there and everywhere not to mention the data mining that likely tabbing us as “problem children”.

You’re right about Kali. Beautiful place with awful government, which the peeps in SoCal and LA have voted that government into being.

[/quote]

Thanks.

Yeah, I was in Kommiefornia for almost a year. Beautiful place with a horrible government.
      [/quote]
      I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.

Barry Goldwater
      LivingOnTheFault

Post by LivingOnTheFault »

Cumberland Plateau, and Northern Arkansas / Southern Missouri are good. I would find a good Church to join if I don't have kin folk, and one that promotes small groups. Churches of Christ are wide spread in the area, and they mostly likely not to be "WOKE". Typically, they have don't have economics of the large churches, and are run by the Church Elders. Trout fishing is good on the White River, and Little Red. Most of these small towns real estate is still reasonable. Only big issue, the Nuclear Reactor on the Arkansas River was having issues a few years ago. You are 3-4 hours from large population centers, like any rural area be very weary of your neighbors you don't want some Meth Heads burning your homestead down or stealing your stuff. Plenty of water, and rain fall. Climate is survivable. The Delta has issues. Getting involved in the local county CERT group would be a good thing to do as well. People like "Bear" are in South Eastern Oklahoma. I think Pastor Joe Fox is near Mena, Arkansas but I only guessing. Medical care can get sketchy. A lot of the local hospitals have been shutdown like in most rural areas.
      LivingOnTheFault

Post by LivingOnTheFault »

plankmember wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:29 am
      tarmac82 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:51 pm
      NC SCOUT wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:48 pm

Hey, NC Scout, thank you. That's the kind of thing I was looking for. I'll search for those.
      ID , WY , MT, And my current favorite western colorado... 100-200 miles from metro areas.....Red state, this would be the year to Relocate !!!!!! best wishes
      Check out Prepper Broadcasting that are supposed to have a huge presence at Prepper Camp this year near Asheville.