Hello from Indiana

Introduce yourself. ALL NEW MEMBERS WILL REPORT IN.
mtforge
Recruit

Hello from Indiana

Post by mtforge »

Checking in from Indiana
I am a full time blacksmith doing mainly rendezvous and reenactments. It's a great way to practice working primitive.
What some call being a prepper we call normal living as I live in a farming area. Putting food up by canning or freezing. Stocking the pantry since town is to far to go to everyday. Cutting and splitting wood for the winter. Everyday life
Sand Sock
Professionally Instructed Gunman

Re: Hello from Indiana

Post by Sand Sock »

Welcome, sounds like you hang out at frienship. A buddy used to go out there. You need to hookup with dirt and nasty.
Roberta
Recruit

Post by Roberta »

I love this! I am new here too, I'm in California. We aren't too far from small towns, in the mountains. We've stocked up food but I need to learn canning, but we actually have a lot stored up already. I'm about to make my first batch of hardtack with some sacks of flour I don't want to go bad. I'm thinking about putting batches in vacuum seal bags after they dry each week.

We cut our own trees and split for firewood too. My husband refuses to get a splitter, he loves the work. I hope to start helping again after my hip replacements and recovery.

So cool that you are doing old school blacksmith work, so very cool!
mtforge
Recruit

Post by mtforge »

I used to hand split all my firewood with a hand splitter I made. Then went to a splitter bolted to the where the back tire of a truck goes. Now I use a hydraulic splitter I bought used. As I get older I tend to go to the easier method.
Roberta
Recruit

Post by Roberta »

I have used a hydraulic splitter and I loved it, I thought it was super fun. I told my husband we should get one, but he is stubborn and wants to do it all by hand. We are in our 60's, and he says he always wants to do it this way. I lift weights and bike and swim, someday I hope to hike again when my hips are fixed, but he says the work outside is his gym, and I love that about him.
plankmember
Hunter of Gunmen

Post by plankmember »

Greetings brother and enjoy the learn /share
  • "You cannot subsidize irresponsibility and expect people to become more responsible" Dr. Thomas Sowell
  • " WHAT WE DO NOW ECHOES IN ETERNITY " - Maximus Decimus Meridius
      aquietman
      Recruit

Post by aquietman »

Welcome, glad to see another Hoosier on the site. I am in the south end of the state.