Intro; SW VA

Introduce yourself. ALL NEW MEMBERS WILL REPORT IN.
Storm Crow
Recruit

Intro; SW VA

Post by Storm Crow »

G'day,
USN Ret '07, SS/SW/FMF.
Sub IDC; 3-MC, SEL. NBC trained, but likely dated info.
New Ham Extra licensee / learning. Not getting timely responses from AmRRON; ERPN looked good initially, but doesn't provide objective comm reports. Looking for a Ham regional net to pass/collect helpful HUMINT, &c.

Best / 73,
Storm Crow
You deserve what you tolerate.
Quietus
Rifleman

Re: Intro; SW VA

Post by Quietus »

Welcome to this place. If you look around on the subforums you'll probably find that there are forum-related radio nets that are accessible to you. Probably twice a week. From far away I know that there's stations related to this forum in two states adjacent to you, I checked in last month and heard them. They do 40 and 80 meter nets on the same day, maybe two days a week.

Where I'm at the population base is much smaller but we do a forum-related net nine times per week: seven 0645 local and a couple of evening chats, all on 80m voice.

There is something related to this board out there for you local to you. You might have to dig around some to find freqs and times. I know Sunday afternoon is one of the days, can't say the other. It's mostly too far out there for me.
Storm Crow
Recruit

Post by Storm Crow »

Thanks Quietus,
Took the time yesterday to listen in for four nets listed in the SOI / Comms subtopics. Had a 5/9 contact on 80M, but it didn’t appear to be anyone in this as blogosphere. Had some chatter from NY on 17M, but again not a BBter follower. Will listen in on Tu & Th; Should be able to hear NC clearly from my QTH, tho’ could be in the 80M no go zone…we’ll find out.
Storm
NC SCOUT
Site Admin

Post by NC SCOUT »

Storm Crow wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:39 pm G'day,
USN Ret '07, SS/SW/FMF.
Sub IDC; 3-MC, SEL. NBC trained, but likely dated info.
New Ham Extra licensee / learning. Not getting timely responses from AmRRON; ERPN looked good initially, but doesn't provide objective comm reports. Looking for a Ham regional net to pass/collect helpful HUMINT, &c.

Best / 73,
Storm Crow
Hey!!

Depending on how close you are to Galax, we might be able to hit one another with SSB on 10 or 6.
Appalachistani Warlord

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Brushbeater Training Calendar

Storm Crow
Recruit

Post by Storm Crow »

Didn't catch American NVIS last PM / Tues on 40 / 80. I'm wondering if I'm in the skip zone. Heard Long Island, NY and SF Bay, so I'm picking up decent signals. Do you use either 10 or 6 on a regular basis? I'm usually close to the radio after dark, but do have an appt tonight / Wed.
S/C
NC SCOUT
Site Admin

Post by NC SCOUT »

Storm Crow wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:25 pm Didn't catch American NVIS last PM / Tues on 40 / 80. I'm wondering if I'm in the skip zone. Heard Long Island, NY and SF Bay, so I'm picking up decent signals. Do you use either 10 or 6 on a regular basis? I'm usually close to the radio after dark, but do have an appt tonight / Wed.
S/C
40 has been running very long, and will continue to do so during the solar minimum. So you're not really gonna get NVIS propagation because its behaving more like 20.

I'll be working 10 & 6 this weekend for a bit. I'll post it on here.
Appalachistani Warlord

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Brushbeater Training Calendar

Storm Crow
Recruit

Post by Storm Crow »

Sounds great!
Storm