Introduction

Introduce yourself. ALL NEW MEMBERS WILL REPORT IN.
Scipio
Recruit

Introduction

Post by Scipio »

Scipio here. Hi everyone. I was born and breaded in North Carolina. Lived in mostly western part of state (Catawba, Lincoln and Rutherford Counties) in my younger years before going to Army, but now live in central NC. Moved back to NC after 2 years in Atlanta (Decatur) and 3 years in Sumter SC. Appalachian Grad with BS and MA in history. graduate teaching assistant there, Taught history, economics, and geography to 11th and 12th grades for five years, high school gymnastics coach with school's first state champion. US Army infantry SGT E-5 11B40 MOS with 2ID, 70% disabled vet. I have spent most of my career in the financial industry as a registered rep and OSJ compliance officer, two FEMA certifications, took classes in epidemiology, infectious disease, and virology at NC Memorial Hospital Chapel Hill, enjoy reading (library of about 500 non fiction books) writing and travel, I have been to 5 of the 7 continents and have my sights on Antarctica and Africa to complete the dream, been prepping for years, married Christian with children (four boys and two girls), self studying for my ham radio technician license (inspired by NCScout), just finished taking Von Steuben's excellent "Team Leader" class.
ColdSteel1983
Professionally Instructed Gunman

Re: Introduction

Post by ColdSteel1983 »

Greetings!

Your a busy guy!!

North Texas here.

Jeff B.
I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.

Barry Goldwater
Atlas Shrug

Post by Atlas Shrug »

On the ham license, take the online exams (or get a free app for you phone - I did both) and take the General tests over and over. Then test for Technician and when you pass, try for the General in the same sitting. Try for Extra if you are real cocky (that’s a real test and harder to pass with this method).

This method is a solid way to get licensed fast. Yes, your knowledge is not as deep at first this way, but it gets you going ASAP and you’ll learn more after you get going anyway.
Keep Your Powder Dry,
Atlas Shrug
NC SCOUT
Site Admin

Post by NC SCOUT »

Scipio wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:56 pm Scipio here. Hi everyone. I was born and breaded in North Carolina. Lived in mostly western part of state (Catawba, Lincoln and Rutherford Counties) in my younger years before going to Army, but now live in central NC. Moved back to NC after 2 years in Atlanta (Decatur) and 3 years in Sumter SC. Appalachian Grad with BS and MA in history. graduate teaching assistant there, Taught history, economics, and geography to 11th and 12th grades for five years, high school gymnastics coach with school's first state champion. US Army infantry SGT E-5 11B40 MOS with 2ID, 70% disabled vet. I have spent most of my career in the financial industry as a registered rep and OSJ compliance officer, two FEMA certifications, took classes in epidemiology, infectious disease, and virology at NC Memorial Hospital Chapel Hill, enjoy reading (library of about 500 non fiction books) writing and travel, I have been to 5 of the 7 continents and have my sights on Antarctica and Africa to complete the dream, been prepping for years, married Christian with children (four boys and two girls), self studying for my ham radio technician license (inspired by NCScout), just finished taking Von Steuben's excellent "Team Leader" class.
Welcome brother!!
Appalachistani Warlord

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Brushbeater Training Calendar

RobotNixon

Post by RobotNixon »

Welcome! Just out of curiosity, got a backstory on picking Scipio as your nom de plume or just think Latin sounds cool? No worries either way.
Red01
Rifleman

Post by Red01 »

Welcome aboard, glad to have you!!
Scipio
Recruit

Post by Scipio »

RobotNixon wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:21 am Welcome! Just out of curiosity, got a backstory on picking Scipio as your nom de plume or just think Latin sounds cool? No worries either way.
Thanks for asking. That tells me you might have some Latin in your background like I do.

Long story short is I was in a leadership class once, and the instructor said to think about who is your hero or someone you admire, and that will give you a clue as to what kind of leader you are or aspire to be. To me, that was great military commanders like Scipio Africanus or great pioneers like Davy Crocket. Scipio Africanus started his career being defeated by Hannibal in the First Punic War while also seeing his father and uncle killed in that war. Rome was almost conquered by Hannibal from Carthage, modern day Tunis. Carthage had been a nemeses for Rome for years, and Scipio took the fight to the Carthagiens, in the Second Punic War, defeating Hannibal by deploying tactics that used Hannibal's elephant strategy against him. Hannibal's feat of taking elephants across the Alps and defeating the Romans in the first war was one of the greatest strategic victories of all time. Now, in Carthage, two of the greatest generals of all times faced off, and Scipio won. Before the battle, both leaders met in part because they each wanted to meet their accomplished foe. Hannibal had also lost family, two brothers, in the First Punic War. Both had reason for personal vengeance against the other, but Scipio showed honor in victory and allowed Hannibal go back to Carthage and rule the economic empire that still stood. However, 50 years later Rome decided Carthage must be obliterated and Scipio Africanus' grandson, Scipio Amellianus, burned Carthage to the ground and thus popularized the Latin phrase, "De lenda Carthago est?" ie "Carthage must be destroyed" I have adapted that saying for myself, saying my enemies must be destroyed, not just defeated. Carthage was never a world power again. Scipio's personal loss and defeat did not deter him from changing defeat into victory, taking the fight to the enemy, not afraid to face the best, and show honor and magnanimity in victory. Those are attributes are ones I have striven to achieve, thus "Scipio' my nom de plume" In other words, "Res ipsa loquitr" when considering my take.

And yes, I think Latin is cool also.

On a personal note, I have a son-in-law who is a carrier fighter pilot for the Italian Navy, but that happened after I chose my blogging name. Destiny I guess.

BTW as a historian, that was the short version!
RobotNixon

Post by RobotNixon »

Scipio wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:17 pm Thanks for asking. That tells me you might have some Latin in your background like I do.
Right on! Not so much in Latin the background on my end, just a semester of the language in high school and occasional readings of snippets of Roman history since. Oddly enough, this reply somehow conjured some subconscious train of thought that reminded me I've been meaning to read up on Gustavus Adolphus for years and just never got around to it.