Hello from Montana

Introduce yourself. ALL NEW MEMBERS WILL REPORT IN.
Badlands Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: Hello from Montana

Post by Badlands Rifleman »

BavinckAtWar wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:45 am
Quietus wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:25 pm Do you do HF radio? There's a group that pretty much reliably BSs at 0645 MDT, daily. Details are 'way down the board, in a sub-section listing regional networks. "Northwest, Redoubt and PNW" is the one.
I don't! I need to though. There's just an ever-growing list of things I need to do. I was thinking it would be wise to my Tech license at the very least, but it seems that HF is where it's at. I'll have to see when the next test is. I'm a good test-taker and work best with a deadline. Thanks for letting me know there could be some useful connections to be made!
I completely concur with Quietus, go for your general right out of the gate. I tend to do pretty well with cramming for tests and I did both. I’m pretty sure you can test online now as well. Quietus is an ace hand with comms, I’ve trained with him in the past and he’ll get you set up right. Just as an FYI if you’re looking to get some good training we’ve got a training opportunities thread up in the northwest regional thread for training opportunities in the region. Welcome to the forum!
Owner of Badlands Fieldcraft LLC, instructor of the Fieldcraft Course, and writer of the Badlands Fieldcraft blog.
BavinckAtWar
Recruit

Post by BavinckAtWar »

Very cool guys, thank you! Ok, I'll make it a goal to knock out my tests this summer.

I read about online testing, it sounds like you need multiple videos on at the same time to keep you from cheating. They suggest doing the test in the bathroom(!). Hopefully I can just take the test in person.

Thank you both for your help!
Badlands Rifleman
Rifleman

Post by Badlands Rifleman »

Oh really? That sounds stricter than the in person test! Either way it’s just a memorization exercise, you either know the answer or make a good guess. You’ll do fine I’m sure, just don’t get overwhelmed trying to actually learn everything they are trying to test you on if that makes any sense. After you get your licenses is where the real learning begins.
Owner of Badlands Fieldcraft LLC, instructor of the Fieldcraft Course, and writer of the Badlands Fieldcraft blog.
Quietus
Rifleman

Post by Quietus »

Take both tests/same day in person if you can. A neutral site is a better thing than an invasion of your house, IMO.

The test questions are in a published FCC database and there's quite a few of them. The reason you cram tests online, is to learn the questions and the correct answer for each. Bang out those online tests until you can't fail.

When I drove up to test at the FIB building, there was no questions on the Tech that I had not seen, and only one on the General not previously seen. The Extra was a different thing, I'd not crammed for it. The Examiner was kind enough to tell me that I'd got more than half wrong. But I walked away with a General ticket after cramming online tests for four days.