Advice

Introduce yourself. ALL NEW MEMBERS WILL REPORT IN.
greyslayer76
Recruit

Advice

Post by greyslayer76 »

Hi, new member, Chester, IL.

I just noticed this site and listening to one of NC Scout's podcasts, it resonated perfectly. I'm 44, male and come from a military family. My father was Airforce, and I attempted to join the US Army in my early 20s, but when the recruiter questioning me asked if I had asthma, that was the end of that as he told me none of the branches could accept me. I've been a conservative all my life, always voted Republican, have always followed the news and politics thoroughly, and all throughout 2020 I scoured the net for information on everything going on, as nothing made sense. Just prior to the election theatrics I started looking again into militias and did find the Oath Keepers. Should have tried joining earlier as I suppose they weren't taking anyone at that point, all things considered, so I merely donated what I could just to be doing something. Sad to see the government going after them so hard.

Anyway, listening to one of the podcast everything he said was dead on, including running my mouth on Facebook, spamming memes like an idiot and generally not doing much of anything. Like many people, I just didn't really know what else to do other than stocking up on canned food and water mainly, and ordering food and basic survival gear off mypatriotsupply website. I'm living with my brother in law and sister who aren't in any way helpful. We have 2 handguns, a shotgun, and a rifle of some sort (I've just been told yesterday, but not what kind.) Limited ammo.

I live in Southern Illinois, not friends with anyone in this berg and have limited funds. I've spent it all really on food, water, and such. I currently have only $640 left, so my question is, what should I do if I wanted to be of actual help? The locals in southern Illinois are fairly conservative, but as stated, I don't actually know people around here. Considering the speed at which everything seems to be escalating, does anyone think I'll be able to buy a better gun next month, combining funds I have now, or at this point would I be best off just dumping it all into food and more basic survival gear asap? I expect, as was pointed out here and on prepperrecon.com with Matt Bracken pre-election podcast, a sobering reality check illustrating that alone in our home, confronted with overwhelming numbers, would a gun be worth waiting until June, with shit seemingly on the brink of hitting the fan at any moment? Do I have time? I really don't much care for the idea of sitting around waiting to die, or doing nothing.

Thanks,
-Grey
vyt1az
Professionally Instructed Gunman

Re: Advice

Post by vyt1az »

Welcome! Yes you have time. But there's a lot going on in your post.

The SHTF is more of a descriptor than any single event. It already happened last year, and intermittently happening this year and will probably continue to varying degrees. Doesn't mean everything will disappear all at once though.

When you say you have $640 left is that your entire savings and you're dirt poor or just your current budget for preparation and you can replenish from income later on?

Are the firearms y'all have theirs and you want a handgun for yourself?

If you're living with family what does it mean that they aren't helpful?

Sounds like maybe you haven't lived in that area very long or don't like living with them.

IF I was planning on staying there long term, I'd immediately start doing an area study, and start to get to know others in that community as much as possible. If it's a typical suburb where no one talks to each other, you've got your work cut out for you. Not impossible, but going to take hard work.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi
Snake

Post by Snake »

Words stolen from someone else, you have to try to not be successful in the country you live in. Set some goals work toward them, join a church if you are willing. The world isn’t gonna end tomorrow. If you can improve your position everyday-that is the way. Everything will fall into place. Positive things snowball when you stay positive and keep your head in the game. If you are around negative people-get away from them. If you have time to listen to all the distractions around you, you are not busy enough.
greyslayer76
Recruit

Post by greyslayer76 »

"When you say you have $640 left is that your entire savings and you're dirt poor or just your current budget for preparation and you can replenish from income later on?"

Part of the Biden print-a-thon stimulus, but I can put $500ish per month towards stockpiling, survival gear, guns, ammo, etc. So, next month I could spend $1100 or so.

"Are the firearms y'all have theirs and you want a handgun for yourself?"

I own one of the handguns. Sadly a.22. However, my sister bought some kind of 9mm handgun. Glock look a like. And brother in law has a 12 gauge and some sort of rifle, borrowed from his father. Situation is slightly strained, we rarely talk. Our weapon situation leaves something to be desired, but has been a lower priority than food, water, & survival items, largely due to my family here being disinterested in stockpiling any of that.

"If you're living with family what does it mean that they aren't helpful? "

They've been indifferent to everything but bottled water. I'd say they have slightly come around, with the geopolitical escalation. I was just told my brother in law procured a rifle of some sort two days ago.

"Sounds like maybe you haven't lived in that area very long or don't like living with them."

I haven't lived here all that long, but despite the lukewarm familial relations, they're at least armed and aware of the Marxist Coup d'état, and cultural situation to some degree anyway. So 3 armed people. My past friends all intractably unaware.

"If it's a typical suburb where no one talks to each other, you've got your work cut out for you. Not impossible, but going to take hard work."

I'm currently in a rural area of southern Illinois. This is what I've searched for. No choice but to prepare, commit, defend, and work hard. They've done a fine job of making us all feel alone.

Church, I've intended to do. Though all past religious friends refuse to speak of anything but the guillotine. The rest, spellbound under Hegelian dialectic mind control, Qanon members, trusting the plan, or former liberal friends, apparently devoted communists all along.

I need a real weapon and am fairly ignorant. And so...

Any recommendations on firearms?
vyt1az

Post by vyt1az »

Ah ok. Now I get it a little more. Since you have some firearms, and food / water already, I'd actually buy some comms next. 3-4 Baofengs and you can get a nice rural radio net running in case the internet is out. You'll be quite valuable to you community if things get worse with that one. You'll also be getting info faster than others. 😉

After that I'd look at a 9mm Glock and a 7.62x39 AK. You'll be able to figure out which one of those to prioritize based on your situation.

They're very common firearms so ammo, parts, and accessories are plentiful and most gunsmiths can work on them. They're stupid-easy to run. I personally prefer a firearm with a solid logistical supply over "how they feel in the hand" or whether they're the best design that no one else owns. 99% of folks out there can adapt to using an AK or Glock even if it's not their preference.

Then I'd be stockpiling more of everything you and they need until they're mentally on board.

As you're buying all that stuff, hopefully you can get your relatives and neighbors to warm up a bit. Maybe offer some help to someone, make some deserts for the neighbors, etc. Ask nothing in return. Get them talking about the areas y'all do agree on. No politics unless they bring it up. It's worked for me and brought people around, but it took time.

I'll say a prayer for you.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Beware the man with one rifle-he prob knows how to use it. Find something common 9mm, 5.56 common ammo, 7.62x39. Learn how to use it practice fundamentals over and over. Most trying can be done dryfire. Get professional training/coaching. Dry fire is a daily thing. Have a plan for something. If you are stuck in the subburbs, plan to move on at some point. You do t want to be surrounded by a bunch of u controllable things. Trouble starts they call the cops on you also
greyslayer76
Recruit

Post by greyslayer76 »

Much obliged, thanks for assisting and the prayer. Makes sense. Prices on amazon vary for Baofengs. Anything specific I should be looking for in these radios? I'll start watching reviews and reading.
vyt1az

Post by vyt1az »

greyslayer76 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:47 am Much obliged, thanks for assisting and the prayer. Makes sense. Prices on amazon vary for Baofengs. Anything specific I should be looking for in these radios? I'll start watching reviews and reading.
I personally like to get a bunch of the cheap UV-5Rs because they're so cheap it I'm not worried if I hand them off to an untrained person and they drop it on the concrete or in the water.

So I usually start with a bunch of those as I can still get them at around $25 / radio. They're not great radios but can perform really well with a quality antenna. The ones they come with are just OK.

The UV-5RX3 has more band capabilities if you get a Ham license, and the 1701 DMRs have some nice digital modes that are much tougher to deal with for those listening.

The RTO courses are absolutely amazing for learning how to get up and running on these very fast.

There's some in your state in October. Worth every penny: https://brushbeater.org/training-calendar/
greyslayer76
Recruit

Post by greyslayer76 »

vyt1az wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:21 pm
greyslayer76 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:47 am Much obliged, thanks for assisting and the prayer. Makes sense. Prices on amazon vary for Baofengs. Anything specific I should be looking for in these radios? I'll start watching reviews and reading.
I personally like to get a bunch of the cheap UV-5Rs because they're so cheap it I'm not worried if I hand them off to an untrained person and they drop it on the concrete or in the water.
I ordered 4x BAOFENG UV-5R, 4 antennae, an extended battery accessory, and usb charger cable for now. Saving the rest. Will do my best to take heed of all your advice. I've been listening to beginners ham radio and back to catching up on the podcast here. In any case, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out buddy, thanks. I will pray for us all.
Black3
Rifleman

Post by Black3 »

Don’t worry about guns. You have one, which is better than most. Network. Meet more people. Find the local gun club, that’s a good place to meet like minded people, just don’t go blazing in there with your hair on fire. Be humble and meet people.
Live or die, it's how you act today that's gonna matter.